Monday, January 24, 2011

It's time to play the music/ It's time to light the lights!

I love the Muppets.

I love them.

I would lobby for the Muppets to be featured on American currency before any other person (living or dead).

They are an American treasure.

My childhood was spent watching Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, and the Muppet Show. While Disney movies came out once a year-- Muppets were with me ever day.

Which is why I am psyched that a Muppet movie is coming out this year.

Let me innumerate the reasons this is mind-meltingly awesome.

Awesome-Amazing thing #1: The Human Cast
Mila Kunis, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, Jason Segel, Rashida Jones, and Zack Galifianakis will all be sharing the screen with Kermit, Gonzo, and Miss Piggy.

The easiest way to see how fun it is when celebrities and Muppets unite are all the celebrities appearances on Sesame Street. Ricky Gervais, Feist, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, and even Ray Charles and Johnny Cash have all been on and each time it is amazing.

I would say what makes having such an amazing (human) cast in this movie is that it so uninterested in fame and celebrity. No matter who shows up-- they all play second fiddle to the Muppets.

Also--anyone who knows me knows that Jason Segel is kind of my hero. Love his movies, his appearances on talk shows, and his character on "How I Met Your Mother" (Marshall Erikson) is one of my favorites.

Plus-- he is almost as exited as I am about this movie.

Awesome-Amazing Thing #2: "Flight of the Concords" influence
Chris Cooper is set to do a rap in the film.

Before you cringe, hear me out.

James Bobin, the director of the film, is the mind behind "Flight of the Conchords." Bobin has drafted one part of the folk duo (Bret McKenzie) to help out with the songs. "Flight of the Conchords" is responsible for gems like "Prince of Parties", "Boom", and "Robots." So that same bizarre creative energy that fueled the first Muppet movies is going to continue on with Segel and Bobin at the helm.

Awesome-Amazing Thing #3: More "Mahna Mahna" and "Rainbow Connection"
Do I really have to explain this?

Awesome-Amazing Thing #4: Muppets
I realize I just spent the entire entry gushing over them, but seriously-- they are the best.

You can always count on them to be humble and subversive and to nurture the creative underdog in everyone.

I cannot wait until November.





No comments:

Post a Comment