Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hang in there Margaret!

There is a site online called "I Write Like" where you type a bit of your own writing in, and an algorithm analyzes your writing and says which famous author you most write like.

I write like
J. K. Rowling

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


BOOYA!

Yeah-- I was delighted.

The site has gone viral, however, and everybody is doing it-- even famous authors themselves. The authors, however, have been horrified with the results for the most part. Someone put the text in from Mel Gibson's racist/sexist/generally horrible human being rant in and the algorithm decided it was most like Margaret Atwood. MARGARET ATWOOD! The woman who wrote "The Handmaiden's Tale" and said "A voice is a human gift; it should be cherished and used, to utter fully human speech as possible. Powerless and silence go together." THAT was the author that most resembled Mel Gibson's "You're a f*cking mentally deprived idiot." How charming.

So basically, I'm pretty sure Margaret Atwood is on suicide watch until the month is up. Poor dear.

2 comments:

  1. oh no...i love margaret atwood..and that book. tragic.
    I would definitely say your writing is of ms. rowling's status.
    hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
  2. It says my writing is like Chuck Palahniuk, or however he spells that outlandish last name of his. I have yet to read any of his stuff, regardless of how many years one or two titles have languished on my Books To Read list. But I heard about him making people faint as he gave a public reading. And I can get behind that.

    ReplyDelete